Thursday, June 16, 2011

Starting out.

     My name is Autumn, and I am a Registered Nurse at American Fork Intensive Care Unit.  I have been with that department for a little over a year, but I have been with Intermountain for over 14 years now in various departments.  I am married to a wonderful man who makes me smile every day, and have 3 children.  Years 8,10,4  two boys with a girl in the middle. 
     I am only 33, but some days feel much older.  I have seen the 100 Day Heart Challenge in the Intermountain newsletter for a few years now, and when it came around again I thought I really should apply to give me the motivation to acually make a change.  When it came to the question of "What is your cholesterol?"  I had no idea.  Then the question "What is your blood pressure?"  Well that has always been normal, but I was at work and decided to check it.  I was shocked when it read 158/105.  I continued to check it randomly and at home several times over the next few days only to have it consistantly read high so I make the dreaded Dr. appt. and was put on medication.  My wonderful Dr. sat down with me told me my cholesterol was too high, now I had high blood pressure, and reminded me that I was already on Glucophage for high insulin levels.  He gently said I was very overweight then proceeded to ask "You're an ICU nurse right? You know the timeline and the results if you don't make a real change starting now". 
     5 days later I got a notice from Janet inviting me to become part of the 100 day heart challenge.  I have been given a wonderful opportunity with overwhelming amount of support and motivation to make that change.  I plan on taking full advantage of  it and making those changes now to be the best healthiest me possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment